Skip Ribbon Commands

Wenatchee Valley College                                                                                                                          Wenatchi Hall 2332                                 Rob Fitch, Biology Professor                                                                                                                     682-6755                  

http://commons.wvc.edu/rfitch                                                                                                                   rfitch@wvc.edu

SYLLABUS

COURSE AND TITLE:  Biology 211 – Majors Cellular Biology

COURSE DESCRIPTION:  Covers the structure & function of cells, metabolism, photosynthesis, cell reproduction and Mendelian and molecular genetics.  Recommended for science majors, pre-professional students, and allied health majors.  Includes laboratory.  Recent college (CHEM 121) or high school-level chemistry class strongly recommended within the past 5 years or permission of instructor.

CREDIT AND HOURS:  5 credit hours: Four 1-hour lectures & one 2-hour lab weekly.

TEXTBOOKS:              1. Raven, et al., Biology, 9th ed., 2011. Vol. 1, ISBN: 978-007739-750-0

2. McDonald & Roberts.  Principles of Biology: Laboratory

Investigations, 4th ed.  ISBN: 978-088725-336-2

OFFICE HOURS:  I am available to help you at the hours posted next to my office door or at any time I am in my office or in the lab.  Please feel free to drop in or to schedule an appointment to meet with me if you wish.

TEACHING METHODS:  Lectures, media imaging, discussions, assigned readings and question-and-answer sessions will all be utilized.  Laboratory exercises are designed to familiarize students with techniques in a "hands-on" manner & to emphasize major cell biology concepts.

GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:

1.  Basic knowledge of life at the cellular, metabolic & genetic level.

2.  An awareness of the chemical and physical basis of cellular structure &   

function.

3.  An appreciation for the commonality of function at the cellular, metabolic &

genetic level.

4.  Familiarity with Mendelian and molecular genetic principles.

5.  Experience in the proper use and understanding of selected laboratory

apparatus and procedures.

EVALUATION:

Evaluation for this class will be based upon:

Class exams (3 X 100 pts)....................300 points

Lab work.…………………….................270 points

Final exam (comprehensive)................ 200 points

770 points total

Grades are then earned according to the following scale (%):

93è100 = A              83è87 = B                70è77 = C                60è65 = D

90è92   = A-             80è82 = B-               68è69 = C-              <59 = F        

88è89   = B+            78è79 = C+              66è67 = D+           

CHEATING:

Cheating will not be tolerated.  If you are caught cheating, you will be given an “F” for the course.  Cheating includes (but is not limited to): copying someone’s answers on a test or quiz, letting someone copy answers from your test or quiz, copying someone’s assignment & calling it your own, letting someone copy your assignment, informing other students of quiz or test material, using previous exams or assignments/reports/papers for this course which have been or will be used for this or other courses, and plagiarism (copying information from a written or electronic source--such as the Internet--without giving credit to the author).

ATTENDANCE AND CLASS POLICIES:

Regular attendance in lecture and lab is necessary for the student to accomplish the goals of the course.  Assignments and labs turned in late will be marked down 1 full grade for each school day they are late.   A missed exam without instructor notification and permission will result in a score of 0 for that exam.  Any work missed due to absence must be discussed with the instructor and be made up in a reasonable amount of time.

A complete lecture and laboratory schedule is attached for your convenience.  It is strongly recommended that you read the material for the day before coming to class.  THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE NECESSITY FOR THE LABORATORY MATERIAL.

As a courtesy to your classmates, all cell phones and portable electronic communication devices MUST be shut off and securely stowed during lecture & lab.

During the course, each student will be expected to actively participate in class and lab exercises and discussions, complete all lab experiments and home assignments in a timely manner and ask lots of questions...we're all here to learn!

I have chosen Biology as my field of study because I find it fascinating, fun and very relevant to everyday life.  I hope that you, too, will be able to share in my passion and enthusiasm for studying Biology as we together pursue the study of life over the coming quarter!

SPECIAL POPULATIONS OFFICE:

The Disability Support Services Office has been designated by the college as the primary office to guide, coach and assist students with disabilities.  If you receive services (or think you should) through that office and require accommodations for this class, make an appointment with me as soon as possible to discuss your approved accommodation needs.  Bring your Instructor Notification and Request form provided by the Special Populations Coordinator to the appointment.  I will hold any information you share with me in strictest confidence unless you give me written permission to do otherwise.  If you need a referral to that office or have further questions, I will be available to assist you.  The Special Populations Coordinator will require appropriate documentation of disability.  The use of that office is voluntary.